Tuesday, May 26, 2009

the long weekend

Friday we went out at happy hour, saw a woman we know and had several beers with her and her friends. One of those friends is a Vietnam vet who told stories and patiently explained, when prompted by curious me, the intricate workings of a mortar shell.
Then husband and I walked down the street for pizza and a pitcher of beer. We finished watching the Cavs game at home, where we were on some kind of tape delay. Lebron made a game-winning three-pointer at (literally!) the last second, and we heard the screams of fans from the bars down the hill from us before we actually saw the shot. That was fun--it's always fun when you think your team has lost and they win at the last second.
Saturday we drove to the town down the road and visited a few shops (I got lots of solid fabric in colors I regret a tiny bit--should have held out for a better selection either online or in the capital city but the lady was so nice and I'm a sucker for immediate gratification). Lunch at a little bar, walk with Dog (which walk included an invitation from friends to play euchre that night), bike ride to try out my new helmet, near-heart attack on the way home from said bike ride, showers, roasted chicken tacos for dinner, euchre & sangria at friends' house, home and in bed.
Saturday was effing great.
Sunday we made breakfast and headed out to the garden. we separated and boatload of hostas (and there is still a riot of them outside the front door!) and sweated lots. Took Dog to the park, went out for wings and beer to watch the depressing (as in: no last-second shot could save this one) Cavs game.
Husband awoke with a sore back yesterday. We had breakfast at a diner and then laid low the rest of the day. We are slowly making our way through the Wire and are currently on season 4, which lots of people I've talked to say is their favorite season. It's really good but I have the worst feeling about those corner kids--each episode makes me feel terrified for a different boy, and I know we're going to lose at least one of them by the end of the season. Even as I mourn in advance, I love the masterful manipulation those writers inflict on me: I love stories, and the Wire really socks 'em to me.
Husband's famous beer brats for dinner last night, watched some random movie snippets on TV, then an early bedtime. I read a new book ("Evidence of Things Unseen" by Marianne Wiggins) and Husband fell asleep real early.

On the bike ride this thought came to me, crystal clear-as-a-bell: "I never thought I would be this happy."

No comments:

Post a Comment