Saturday, April 25, 2009

on living up to the name of this blog


I have been learning how to sew. But it's a painful process, a little bit like learning long division. I don't have a strong sense of three dimensional space, so three-dimensional objects (like aprons, pillows, tissue-box covers...) blow my mind a little bit. Table runners, I can handle.
Anyway, when I'm finished with a three-dimensional object I don't want to revisit the agony of its creation right away. I'm satisfied knowing that it came together successfully--the same kind of satisfaction I get solving 2,467/49 by hand, using techniques I learned in 4th grade. I want to go play now. I don't want to sit down and upload photos of the pretty solution.
That's one of the reasons I haven't put up pictures of this apron, which I made for my friend at the beginning of April. I even embroidered a "S" on the pocket. I think it's cute, and now it resides in Tennessee, where it probably hangs on the hook in her kitchen where she put it when I gave it to her. I fear this is not the kind of apron a person wears. It's a little frilly and fancy and trouncy, but I'm glad I made it because now I've made an apron. So I know I can do that. It's a skill set, like long division.

No comments:

Post a Comment