Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Three Things


OK. I grant you, it was a small goal. But a goal it was, and I accomplished it! I grabbed that stack of squares, and I rifled through it and I realized that the pile largely consisted of plain squares of fabric--probably two-thirds were just carefully cut pieces of fabric. One-third was log cabins and checkerboards and weird patchworky stuff. It was a bi-ig stack, i tell you! I stared at those squares and I bit my lip and I knitted my brow and I shook my head and I settled on a pillow!
(OMFG SHE MADE A PILLOW! I CAN'T BELIEVE SHE MADE A FRACKING PILLOW OMFG.)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnddddddddddddd that's kind of it. The rest of the squares are still scattered around the sewing room, looking forlorn and, quite honestly, like they don't exactly go together. I think a quilt requires either far more or a bit less forethought than I put into this possible project. I bought some fabric with a particular magenta-loving little girl in mind, but I didn't consider how much fabric I would need to actually complete that quilt...

So I cut squares out of lots of fabric and I wish now that I had larger swaths of that fabric. This is the kind of experience from which I actually learn. It is concrete: I cut fabric before I was sure the final project would actually happen. I regretted doing so because 6" by 6.5" squares of fabric have limited potential. I see lots of ...well, so far I see lots of pillows and maybe some cobbled-together pot holders in my immediate future. I considered place mats, but 18"x12" is too small and 24"x18" isn't quite right...And I'm not sure I have quite enough squares for four place mats...You get the picture. I feel stymied.

But that's only a neurotic report on one aspect of things that have happened over the last two days. The other thing is that I finished a really beautiful table runner:
(Pictures don't do it justice...) And the other other thing is that I am trying to sell it! And the PILLOW. Holy Moses. I have a store on Etsy. Like, whoa.
I've never been a very industrious person, certainly not in the pursuit of money. But I love making things with fabric and I hate being unemployed. I want to contribute and pay for the sewing supplies I buy. So here it goes.
I know I still don't tell anyone that I have a blog, so it seems completely crazy to be "announcing" my Etsy store on this secret blog. But just because it's a secret, unknown-to-the-world blog doesn't mean I can't treat it like something people actually read. And you never know when someone will just accidentally surf onto this web address, or onto this one: SadieSewedonEtsy.

If you are reading this, will you look? And consider buying one of the two whopping things I've managed to list? No? You're a Hungarian mobster whose seamstress ex-girlfriend shares a nickname with me? Sorry. But seriously, dude. If you need a table runner, I am your girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment