Wednesday, June 10, 2009

In which our Heroine Speaks of her Defeat at the Hands of a Child's Blanket

I will call it a clash of ambition and ability.
I want to finish a project so that I can say "Look, I finished a project." This is something I need to hear myself say. I need to feel like sewing projects don't have to take like indefinite amounts of time to complete.
But something always gets in my way.
With this little-girl quilt for one of my god daughters, what's getting in the way is my total inability to plan anything. That, and this sick tendency I'm discovering in myself to nitpick.
Aargh. I'll explain.
At first I thought it would be great to have all these bright, intense colors. I picked up a few solids during my last binge of fabric-buying, and was so happy to have a kelly green and a really intense turquoise. I tried to incorporate them into this quilt, and they looked tacky. They clashed a little and it was a bad move.
Around the same time, I was also discovering that I can't seem to leave well enough alone. The idea for the quilt was simple: my god daughter's name, with each letter appliqued on a different quilt square. I couldn't leave that alone, so I put a log-cabin border around each of the letter squares. I was pleased with the way that turned out. The rest of the plan was to use squares of the solid-colored fabric interspersed with the occasional print-fabric square, with the print squares matching the fabric from the appliqued letters.
But that wasn't good enough for my god daughter. Even though I still can't make a proper square out of a piece of fabric, and even though my log cabins are inevitably and maddeningly crooked, I decided to experiment with different kinds of log cabin squares, and after spending all day yesterday cutting out squares of the wrong color fabric and then painstakingly piecing the overly-ambitious (and ultimately crappy-looking) log cabin squares, I am really nowhere.
So I wish I could just pick a project, start it today, and stick with it until it is finished. I wish I could just say "I want some orange napkins" and make the orange napkins and be pleased with the way they turn out and come downstairs when Husband gets home without feeling like I'm retreating in a cowardly fashion from a big fight with bad guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment