Thursday, March 5, 2009

Pathetic disclaimer

I'm trying this without telling anyone else I'm doing it! And I have my reasons...
Reasons for trying it:
  • My beautiful, expensive sewing machine has never even had thread in it. It's shameful. I've owned it for nearly two months but all it's doing is collecting dust. I think a little external motivation, in the form of an online community, might help me get started--and keep me going.
  • I've been stalking craft websites for the last week, admiring and coveting and feeling like I want badly to be a part of that community. Everyone seems to be overflowing with ideas and initiative and resourcefulness. And--and--they (you?) are supportive and positive, two more qualities I look for in a person.
  • I've been doing crewel embroidery for several months, and while my husband is terrifically supportive, I don't know if he's really capable of admiring my painstaking work the way I want him to. I want someone who knows what they're talking about (and isn't my mom, bless her heart...) to see my work and say "wow--that looks great. Have you thought about a blanket stitch..."
Those are my reasons so far, for starting this.
Here are my reasons for keeping it to myself at the moment:
  • What if it's totally lame? This reason also goes by the name "I feel unbearably exposed and self-conscious when I think about everyone with an internet connection being privy to my every crafty endeavor."
  • I can't help it: I feel like it's presumptuous to assume that anyone would be interested in my projects. I'm just a flawed, beginning embroiderer/sewing machine-user. (I have to much respect for seamstresses to call myself one, and when I tried calling myself a "sewer," obvious problems ensued.)
  • I love to read other people's blogs, especially the crafty ones. Call it an absurd inferiority complex, but I just can't see myself as one of those sparkly girls--the worlds they inhabit are so gracious and tidy (and if they aren't tidy, they seem stylishly messy. No stove spunk or dog hair-coated sofas and sweatpants...) See, I'm pretty sloppy and I'm pretty lazy, and I'm very new to this. Jesus, and after reading over this post, I can tell it goes without saying that I'm dangerously neurotic. Clearly this has been little more than an attempt to lower expectations and predict/deflect any criticism by disclaiming everything.
Shame on me. On with the experiment...

No comments:

Post a Comment